Keeping the Ball Rolling

I hope this blog has become a smidgen infectious for you. I certainly enjoy writing posts and reading blogs similar. I tell ya, I really REALLY love weight training blogs and basic health blogs. Obviously, I can't do a lot of the things in weight training blogs. I can't do clap push-ups for example. But it is nice to know that I can someday. I want to be fit enough that I can do them. The things I can control however are the basic health items. Things like drinking enough water, getting enough sleep, staying away from harmful food and drinks.
I am on the peak right now, where motivation is high and laziness is lacking. I got to tell you - yesterday I bounced out of bed, took Billie for a couple miles and then come home and busted out my workout video. Sweating like a boxer felt great, the cool shower afterward felt even better. Honestly, the only issue was I was charged the rest of the day and had to keep myself from going too far. This is my problem during this transition. I know that I can't be active for hours a day, really pushing myself. Just the same way I can't work out hard 7 days a week. I don't want to burn out, pull a muscle, lose momentum, etc.
The best solution for me is to really push when I am working out. I know what weight I can handle throughout my session, I know how to pace myself. I need to think about it in a different way. Instead of seeing what all I can do in a day (quantity), I need to work on really doing it to the max (quality) within reason.
So how does one do this? For one, the first couple weeks of any routine, pay attention to your body. Soreness is okay, limping is not. I read somewhere that if you are doing ab work - you should feel like your stomach is full of lava! Wow! I can honestly say I know exactly what they meant. And, I can honestly say I don't typically push myself that far. There is a fine line between maxing yourself and going too far. I want to find that line. The more fit you become, the more work it will take to make yourself sore. Eventually, you won't be sore at all :) Won't that be nice!
I will tell Nikki this week that I want higher weights. I will move up on the resistance of my Workout video. And the cardio....can I start jogging again? Let's see!
I really apppreciate this blog. It gives me another avenue to expel all this excess energy. Hopefully it will motivate me when I hit a wall. I know it's coming - best to be prepared.
So the lesson for today is quality. Sweat like a boxer once every day. Rest days=Active Rest days. Remember that muscle grows during rest, not during resistance. If you work out hard every day you simply will not see results. Find that fine line and work it!

"Today I will do what you won't, so tomorrow I can do what you can't"

No comments:

Post a Comment