My Strategies - The Psychology of Soda

Hey, this is Mike. So why does blogspot think my name is Bovinus? Well, I'm also a contributor on the blogspot blog The End of Journalism. In an homage to the
Federalist Papers
, in which the authors took the anonymous name Publius, I decided it would be fun to take on the pseudonym Bovinus. No connection between the health theme and the giant grinning cow on my profile.

I think this blog is a great idea, and I'd love to participate. I'll share some more of my strategies, but I would like to start with something simple I posted a couple of weeks ago.

What is soda? In its simplest form, it is a mixture of syrup and carbonated water. What role does it take in your life?

If you view soda a water-replacement, you are most likely more tired than you need to be, you struggle being outside on hot days, and your body has trouble getting rid of toxins in your body.

If you view soda as a dessert, something to be experienced in moderation and always accompanying water, then you have very little to fear from soda.

I recently tried a bottle of Pepsi Natural, which is made using real sugar (not high fructose corn syrup) and Kola nut extract. It’s amazing. It’s also close to five dollars for a pack of 4 bottles. Worth it, but probably not something I’ll be able to buy every time.

Research (like this) suggests that high fructose corn syrup decreases your ability to feel “full” and leads to obesity, among other problems. Of course, some of the replacements for high fructose corn syrup in diet beverages are also controversial. When possible, we should be drinking things with natural sugars like fruit juices.

What is soda to you?

1 comment:

Amie Marse said...

Great post ;)

I only drink soda on my "cheat" meals which usually happens once or twice a week. It was a rough transition but I have found that after I got off soda, and the following headaches from the caffeine withdrawals I enjoyed other things so much more. I bought one of those PUR water filters. It comes with the fruit squirt thing. To be honest, I have never had a problem with tap water, but for some reason having it in the fridge already perfectly cold is a big motivator for me. I know PUR isn't top of the line but, as I said I can't tell the difference. Another great replacement is these Lipton Green Tea with Lemon that I tried with Dad on our cross country vacation, I love them. I get a 12 pack a week. Since I am stuck at home I have a lot more structure. It's just not as easy to get out and get soda. So on mondays I go out to eat once or twice (once for class, once for dinner)and I buy my pack of tea on my weekly shopping trip. Sometimes I buy a bottle of juice too. I like the mix of white grape and pomegranate but that isn't always available. When I do drink juice I water it down so it isn't as surgary. I use to drink soda like crazy! Especially when I worked at the hotel and it was free. Free Diet Mountain Dew... I drank 3 or 4 (or more!) a night. I definitely used it to stay awake. Now when I need a quick boost of energy I make myself do a mini excercise to get those endorphins pumpin!

Post a Comment